Saturday, July 11, 2009

Vintage Military Surplus Radios

Recently, I have been playing with green sub-miniature tube radios from the early 50's through the Vietnam era. Right now, I am converting a URC-4 bailout radio for 2 and 6, and have finished bringing a PRC-10 back to life and almost on frequency (couple of KC's off on the dial).

The PRC-10 is now running on a 6v battery with an inverter supply that was built by a ham in Italy for me (no sense re-inventing the wheel) and works great, the URC-4 will take a little work to make a usable battery pack or switching supply for it, but both projects have been fun.

I have an extra URC-4 which I'll be hamfesting this weekend, and will probably offload the PRC-10 - as the one I really want is a PRC-8.

For those of you wondering what the URC-4 is, here's a snippet from an old magazine from the early 60's

No comments: