Thursday, February 5, 2009

QRO and Lids

Ok, after trying to work DX on 80 recently, I've noticed a few things that I don't like.


One of them is that when a weaker station replies to a DX call, instead of other amateurs leaving the operator, they just go QRO and key over him. He who has the biggest amplifier might usually win...but the hobby loses.

For example, there was an obvious QRP station at 5 and 3. Perfectly readable stateside. Another amateur started to call over him - someone who obviously heard him. The low power station didn't stand a chance to be heard. Then another station added to the now forming pile up, and transmitted with even higher power.

The two QRO stations, one identified as using 1KW, the other 500W, both heard the little guy, and still went over him anyway. I came in with 100W at the end and got the call. Why? Because I let the high powered stations fight it out and talk over each other so that they were unintelligible, managed to get the last part of my call heard by the DX station, who acknowledged me, and I was able to tell him about the original station that tried to work him and he went to him right after my contact.

There ARE some gentlemen left out there. Not everyone's a lid like the two jackasses. Moral of the story, don't be a jackass.

No comments: